ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
By smoothing loose skin, a face-lift can give your face and neck a more youthful appearance.
Women typically achieve better results after a face-lift than do men. This is because men have thicker facial skin and larger parotid glands — a type of salivary gland located in the cheeks — than do women. As a result, men's cheeks might still appear full after a face-lift.
Keep in mind that face-lift results aren't permanent. As you age your facial skin might begin to droop again. Sun damage can also age your skin.
- Thorne CH, et al. Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:1.
- Bailey BJ, et al. Head & Neck Surgery — Otylaryngology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006:1.
- Face lift. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Cosmetic-Procedures/Facelift.html. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Facelift surgery. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/rhytidectomy.html. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Arroyave E. Understanding Cosmetic Procedures: Surgical and Nonsurgical. Clifton Park, N.Y.: Milady; 2006:99.
- Bite U (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 3, 2012.