Nutrition basics (19)
- Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet
- Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes
- Added sugar: Don't get sabotaged by sweeteners
- see all in Nutrition basics
Healthy diets (12)
- DASH diet: Tips for dining out
- DASH diet: Tips for shopping and cooking
- DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure
- see all in Healthy diets
Healthy cooking (14)
- Healthy chicken recipes
- Meatless meals: The benefits of eating less meat
- Healthy cooking for 1 or 2
- see all in Healthy cooking
Healthy menus and shopping strategies (13)
- Free range and other meat and poultry terms
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid: A sample menu
- Healthy breakfast: Quick, flexible options to grab at home
- see all in Healthy menus and shopping strategies
Nutritional supplements (3)
- Herbal supplements: What to know before you buy
- Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance
- Supplements: Nutrition in a pill?
Fast food: 5 ways to healthier meals
Have it your way
You can eat healthy away from home, even at fast-food restaurants. Don't settle for what comes with your sandwich or meal. Ask for healthier options and substitutions. For example, ask for reduced-fat mayonnaise or mustard on your sandwich. Or at a fast-food Mexican restaurant, request salsa instead of cheese sauce. And remember to keep your eye on portion sizes.Previous page
(2 of 2)
- McDonald's nutrition info. McDonalds.com. http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionexchange.do. Accessed March 31, 2010.
- Burger King nutrition information. BK.com. http://www.bk.com/nutrition/PDFs/NutritionalBrochure.pdf. Accessed March 31, 2010.
- Wendy's complete nutrition guide. Wendys.com. http://www.wendys.com/food/Nutrition.jsp. Accessed March 31, 2010.
- Hardee's nutrition information. Hardees.com. http://www.hardees.com/content/downloads/hardees_nutrition_guide.pdf. Accessed March 31, 2010.
- Salad toss up: ShopSmart puts 20 salads from 8 national chains to the test. ConsumerReports.org. http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2010/03/plus-8-chefs-tips-to-make-yummier-more-satisfying-salads-at-home--yonkers-ny-so-you-ordered-the-salad-instead-of-th.html. Accessed March 31, 2010.
- Nelson JK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2010.