PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Generally, fibromuscular dysplasia isn't preventable. However, if you're a smoker, quitting smoking may reduce your likelihood of developing fibromuscular dysplasia.
- Poloskey, SL, et al. Fibromuscular dysplasia. Cardiology patient page. Circulation. 2012;125:e636-e639.
- Olin, JW, et al. The United States registry for fibromuscular dysplasia: Results in the first 447 patients. Circulation. 2012;125:3182.
- Slovut DP, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromuscular dysplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Slovut DP, et al. Treatment of fibromuscular dysplasia of the renal arteries. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Olin JW, et al. Diagnosis, management, and future developments of fibromuscular dysplasia. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2011;53:826.