Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Besides dealing with the pain and fatigue of fibromyalgia, you may also have to deal with the frustration of having a condition that's often misunderstood. In addition to educating yourself about fibromyalgia, you may find it helpful to provide your family, friends and co-workers with information.
It's also helpful to know that you're not alone. Organizations such as the National Fibromyalgia Association and the American Chronic Pain Association can help put you in touch with others who have had similar experiences and can understand what you're going through.
- Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Accessed Nov. 2, 2010.
- Bennett RM. Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/225054422-4/1077621679/1492/1050.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50300-1_13277. Accessed Nov. 2, 2010.
- Clauw DJ. Fibromyalgia: An overview. American Journal of Medicine. 2009;122:S3.
- Bennett RM. Clinical manifestations of diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2009;35:215.
- Goldenberg DL. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Muller D, et al. Fibromyalgia syndrome. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/225324736-4/1078619948/1494/93.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50050-8_2384. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wolfe F, et al. The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis Care and Research. 2010;62:600.
- Hassett AL, et al. Nonpharmacologic treatment for fibromyalgia: Patient education, cognitive-behavioral therapy, relaxation techniques and complementary and alternative medicine. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2009;35:393.
- Fibromyalgia and CAM: At a glance. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/pain/fibromyalgia.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Carson JW, et al. A pilot randomized controlled trial of the Yoga of Awareness program in the management of fibromyalgia. Pain. 2010;151:530.
- Wang C, et al. A randomized trial of tai chi for fibromyalgia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:743.
- Vincent A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 16, 2010.