ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Gangrene can lead to scarring or the need for reconstructive surgery. Sometimes, the amount of tissue death is so extensive that a body part, such as your foot, may need to be removed.
Gangrene that is infected with bacteria can spread quickly to other organs and may be fatal if left untreated.
- Neschis DG, et al. Clinical manifestations and evaluation of chronic critical limb ischemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Park H, et al. Complex wounds and their management. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2010;90:1181.
- Helviz Y, et al. Bad to worse. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:215.
- Sepsis and septic shock. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec06/ch068/ch068a.html. Accessed May 15, 2011.
- Stevens DL, et al. Clostridial myonecrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Gas gangrene. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/skin/pages/Gas-Gangrene.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Mechem C, et al. Frostbite. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 15, 2011.
- Stevens DL. Necrotizing infections of the skin and fascia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Intestinal obstruction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec02/ch011/ch011h.html. Accessed May 26, 2011.
- Mandell JE, et al. Necrotizing fasciitis, Fournier's gangrene In: Mandell JE, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1163686964&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..00043-6--s0035&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=251414141-4. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- Mechem C, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 20, 2011.
- Fujiwara Y, et al. Beneficial effects of foot care nursing for people with diabetes mellitus: An uncontrolled before and after intervention study. Journal of Advanced Nursing. In press. Accessed May 26, 2011.
- Saavedra A, et al. Soft-tissue infections: Erysipelas, cellulitis, gangrenous cellulitis, and myonecrosis. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2995017&searchStr=gangrene#2995017. Accessed May 27, 2011.
- Coumadin (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Bristol-Myers Squibb; 2005. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/009218s101lbl.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2011.