Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic staff
The glucose tolerance test identifies abnormalities in the way your body handles glucose after a meal — often before your fasting blood glucose level becomes abnormal.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(suppl):1.
- Evensen AE. Update on gestational diabetes mellitus. Primary Care. 2012;39:83.
- Glucose. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/glucose/tab/glance. Accessed Dec. 7, 2012.
- McCullough DK. Diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 7, 2012.
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (committee opinion). Screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;118:751.
- Castro MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 8, 2013.
- Coustan DR, Jovanovic L. Screening and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus during pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus during pregnancy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.