Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
If your child's arm is injured, you may go straight to an emergency room or urgent care clinic. Depending on the severity of the break, the doctor who first examines your child may recommend a consultation with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.
What you can do
To prepare for your conversation with the doctor, you may want to write a quick list that includes:
- Your child's symptoms
- How the injury occurred
- Your child's key medical information, including any previous fractures, other medical problems, and the names of all medications and vitamins he or she takes
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask:
- How did the injury happen?
- Was your child's wrist or hand bent backward or forward when the impact occurred?
- Is your child right-handed or left-handed?
- Where exactly does it hurt, and does any specific movement make it better or worse?
During the physical exam, your doctor will inspect the affected area for tenderness, swelling, deformity or an open wound.
- Forearm fractures in children. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00039. Accessed Aug. 16, 2010.
- Forearm fractures. In: Marx JA, et al, eds. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/book.do?method=display&type=bookPage&decorator=header&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..00048-7--s0160&displayedEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..00048-7--s0190&uniq=215050869&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&sid=1040236330#lpState=open&lpTab=contentsTab&content=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..00048-7--s0160%3Bfrom%3Dtoc%3Btype%3DbookPage%3Bisbn%3D978-0-323-05472-0. Accessed Aug. 16, 2010.
- Mathison DJ, et al. General principles of fracture management: Fracture patterns and description in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2010.
- Fractures. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://merck.com/mmpe/sec21/ch309/ch309b.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2010.
- Bone health. National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/bone_health.cfm. Accessed Aug. 16, 2010.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 1, 2010.