Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
During the physical exam, your doctor will inspect the affected area for tenderness, swelling, deformity or an open wound. The child will be asked to gently move that limb's fingers or toes.
X-rays can reveal most greenstick fractures. Some greenstick fractures are difficult to see because a small bend in the bone may not show up as well on X-rays.
- Green NE, et al. Skeletal trauma in children. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-4900-5..X1000-X--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-4900-5&uniqId=406908857-2. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Larson NA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 11, 2013.
- Fractures. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/fractures_dislocations_and_sprains/fractures.html?qt=greenstick&alt=sh. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Hay WW, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 21st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=14. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Wang J, et al. Diagnosis and assessment of distal forearm fractures in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Forearm fractures in children. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00039. Accessed April 2, 2013.
- Schweich P. Closed reduction and casting of distal forearm fractures in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 2, 2013.