DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Nerve and myelin sheath|
Guillain-Barre (ghee-YA-buh-RAY) syndrome is a disorder in which your body's immune system attacks your nerves. Weakness and tingling in your extremities are usually the first symptoms. These sensations can quickly spread, eventually paralyzing your whole body. In its most severe form, Guillain-Barre syndrome is a medical emergency requiring hospitalization.
The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown, but it is often preceded by an infectious illness such as a respiratory infection or the stomach flu. Luckily, Guillain-Barre syndrome is uncommon, affecting only 1 or 2 people per 100,000.
There's no known cure for Guillain-Barre syndrome, but several treatments can ease symptoms and reduce the duration of the illness. Most people recover from Guillain-Barre syndrome, though some may experience lingering effects from it, such as weakness, numbness or fatigue.
- Guillain-Barre syndrome. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/detail_gbs.htm?css=print. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Ferri FF., et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed March 18, 2011.
- Soysal A, et al. Clinico-electrophysiological findings and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome — 10 years' experience. Acta neurologica Scandinavica. 2011;123:181.
- Sejvar JJ, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome and Fisher syndrome: Case definitions and guidelines for collection, analysis, and presentation of immunization safety data. Vaccine. 2011;29:599.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2011.