Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
The emotional impact of Guillain-Barre syndrome can be devastating. In severe cases, Guillain-Barre syndrome can transform you from healthy and independent to critically ill and physically helpless — suddenly, and without warning.
Although most people eventually recover fully, a diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome means confronting the possibility of long-term disability or paralysis. And those who do develop these complications must adjust to lasting, limited mobility and dependence on others to help manage daily activities.
Talking with a mental health provider can play a critically important role in helping you cope with the mental and emotional strain of this illness. In some cases, your therapist may recommend family counseling to help you and your loved ones adjust to the changes caused by Guillain-Barre syndrome.
You may also benefit from talking with others who have experienced this illness. Ask your doctor or mental health provider to recommend a support group for people and families coping with Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Guillain-Barre syndrome. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/detail_gbs.htm?css=print. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Ferri FF., et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed March 18, 2011.
- Soysal A, et al. Clinico-electrophysiological findings and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome — 10 years' experience. Acta neurologica Scandinavica. 2011;123:181.
- Sejvar JJ, et al. Guillain-Barre syndrome and Fisher syndrome: Case definitions and guidelines for collection, analysis, and presentation of immunization safety data. Vaccine. 2011;29:599.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Pathogenesis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Treatment and prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 10, 2011.
- Mauermann ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2011.