Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You might first see your family doctor. However, when you call to set up an appointment, your doctor may recommend urgent medical care. If you're having severe difficulty breathing, seek emergency medical attention.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- What symptoms are you experiencing? When did they begin?
- Have you recently cleaned any rarely used rooms or buildings?
- Have you had any recent exposure to mice or rats?
- Do you have any other medical problems?
- What medications and supplements do you routinely take?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
- Have you had any flu-like discomfort, such as fever, muscle aches and fatigue?
- Have you had any gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea or vomiting?
- Have you noticed your heart beating faster than normal?
- Are you having difficulty breathing? Is it getting worse?
- Is anyone else in your life having similar symptoms?
- Bell M. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50409-2--cesec78&isbn=978-1-4160-2805-5&sid=1091431229&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50409-2--cesec93&uniqId=228991887-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50409-2--cesec93. Accessed Dec. 3, 2010.
- Simpson SQ, et al. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;24:159.
- Hjelle B. Hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 3, 2010.
- Shafts C. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0015&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&sid=1091431229&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0015&uniqId=228991887-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0015. Accessed Dec. 3, 2010.
- All about hantaviruses. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/printgenlsection.htm. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.
- Hjelle B. Epidemiology and diagnosis of hantavirus infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 9, 2010.