SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Common signs and symptoms of head lice may include:
- Intense itching. An allergic reaction to the saliva that lice inject during feeding may result in itchy red bumps on your scalp, neck and shoulders. Some people, particularly if this is their first infestation, don't experience itching.
- Adult lice on scalp. The most common spots to find adult lice are behind your ears and along the back of your neck. Lice are tiny, about the size of a strawberry seed, but they can be up to 1/8 inch (3 millimeters) in size.
- Lice eggs (nits) on hair shafts. Nits resemble tiny pussy willow buds. Nits can be mistaken for dandruff, but unlike dandruff, they can't be easily brushed out of hair.
When to see a doctor
Usually you can get rid of lice by using nonprescription shampoo that's specifically formulated to kill lice. However, if nonprescription shampoo doesn't kill the lice, your doctor can prescribe a stronger, prescription shampoo.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Pediculosis capitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Head lice: Frequently asked questions (FAQs). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Head lice: Treatment. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/treatment.html. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Bedell DA, et al. Parasitology. In: Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-1-4160-2467-5&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2467-5..50029-4. Accessed April 25, 2011.
- Schlossberg D. Arthropods and leeches. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/128370895-5/822078666/1492/1286.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50385-2--cesec27_16133. Accessed April 26, 2011.
- Burkhart CN, et al. Fomite transmission in head lice. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007;56:1044.
- Treating head lice. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM173526.pdf. Accessed April 27, 2011.
- Head lice: Prevention and control. Centers for Disease Prevention and Control. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/prevent.html. Accessed April 26, 2011.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Clinical report — Head lice. Pediatrics. 2010;126:392.