DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Headache is pain in any region of the head. Headaches may occur on one or both sides of the head, be isolated to a certain location, radiate across the head from one point, or have a vise-like quality. A headache may be a sharp pain, throbbing sensation or dull ache. Headaches may appear gradually or suddenly, and they may last less than an hour or for several days.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Secondary headaches. American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education. 2004;24(suppl):9. http://www.achenet.org/resources/secondary_headaches/. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Understanding brain tumors. American Academy of Neurology. http://patients.aan.com/search/?event=results&query=secondary+headache+causes&search=Search. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- NINDS meningitis and encephalitis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/encephalitis_meningitis/encephalitis_meningitis.htm. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- NINDS stroke information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/stroke.htm. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Green MW. Secondary headaches. Continuum Lifelong Learning Neurology. 2012;18:783.
- Abrams BM. Medication overuse headaches. Medical Clinics of North America. 2013;97:337.
- Friedman BW, et al. Headache emergencies: Diagnosis and management. Neurological Clinics. 2012;30:43.
- Headache hygiene tips. American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education. http://www.achenet.org/resources/trigger_avoidance_information/. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Krymchantowski, AV. Headaches due to external compression. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:321.