- Functions of water in the body
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis
- Cuts of beef
- Food label
- see all
- Anatomy of a whole grain
- Reading food labels
- Recipe makeover: Morning glory muffins
- Pyramid or plate? Explore these healthy diet options
- Video: Honey crusted chicken
- Video: Pineapple chicken stir-fry
- Video: Hearty turkey chili
- Video: Apple berry cobbler
- see all
- Slide show: Your guide to spices
- Slide show: Guide to beans and legumes
- Slide show: Guide to portion control for weight loss
- Slide show: Guide to a high-fiber diet
- see all
Slide show: Healthy meals start with planningBy Mayo Clinic staff
Healthy meals start with proper portion sizes
You're interested in having healthy meals at home and when you eat out. You have a good idea of what foods to choose for healthy meals. But do you have a good idea of portion sizes? Did you know that you're likely to eat more when you're presented with larger portions of food?
Restaurant portions and food packaging have skewed Americans' perceptions about serving sizes. So how can you reset your expectations about healthy meals and proper portion sizes? Rethink your plate. This guide will show you how.Next slide
- Research to Practice Series No. 2: Portion size. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/portion_size_research.pdf. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Create your plate. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Camelon KM, et al. A visual method of teaching meal planning. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 1998;98:1155.
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 25. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Hensrud D. The Mayo Clinic Diet. Intercourse, Pa.: Good Books, 2010:105.
- What's in the Foods You Eat Search Tool, 5.0. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=17032. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013
- Choose My Plate: 10 tips to a great plate. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://fcs.tamu.edu/food_and_nutrition/family-nutrition/myplate-tip-sheets.pdf. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.