Dietitian's tip: The variation on this traditional cold Spanish soup adds garbanzo beans, which more than doubles the fiber content — 4 grams fiber without, 9 grams fiber with the added garbanzo beans.
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups unsalted vegetable juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 lime wedges
In a large bowl, add the beans, vegetable juice, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, garlic and lime juice. Stir well. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until well chilled.
To serve, ladle the cold soup into chilled individual bowls and garnish with a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: About 1.5 cups|
|Total fat||2 g||Total carbohydrate||38 g|
|Saturated fat||trace||Dietary fiber||9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||0.5 g||Protein||7 g|
|Protein and dairy||1|
|Meat and meat substitutes||1|
|Nuts, seeds and dry beans||1|