A single copy of this article may be reprinted for personal, noncommercial use only.
Recipe: Portobello and blue cheese saladBy Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00540
Dietitian's tip: Blue cheese and balsamic vinegar both have distinct, strong flavors, so only small amounts of each are needed for this mushroom and blue cheese salad. This salad is a very good source of selenium, potassium, folate and vitamins C and K.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of merlot wine
- 6 asparagus stalks, cut into 1-inch sections
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups Bibb chopped lettuce
- 2 roasted red peppers (canned), sliced
- 1/2 cup croutons
In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions. Saute until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute — taking care not to burn the garlic. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates completely, about 1 minute.
In a pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the asparagus. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add the blue cheese, balsamic vinegar, water and black pepper. Whisk to mix thoroughly. (Just before drizzling the dressing over the salad, whisk again.)
Add 3 cups of lettuce to each plate. Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture, 1/2 of the asparagus, 1 roasted red pepper, 1/2 of the blue cheese dressing mixture and 1/4 cup croutons. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Total fat||6 g||Total carbohydrate||25 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g||Dietary fiber||5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||3 g||Protein||9 g|
|Grains and grain products||1/2|
|Fats and oils||1|
- Recipe analysis: Nutritionist Pro, Axxya Systems, 2007 — analysis done December 30, 2010. Jennifer Nelson.