Dietitian's tip: To reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe, use homemade salsa instead of store-bought salsa. To make the salsa, combine chopped fresh tomatoes, diced onions and peppers, cilantro and fresh lime juice.
- 1 cup uncooked whole-wheat rigatoni
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 ounces, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
- 1/4 cup shredded CoJack (Colby and Monterey Jack) cheese
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
Spray a large, heavy skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute the chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black beans and corn. Stir thoroughly and cook until heated through. Add the pasta and gently toss to mix evenly.
Divide the pasta between individual plates. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: About 1.5 cups|
|Total fat||5 g||Total carbohydrate||29 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g||Dietary fiber||5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||1 g||Protein||19 g|
|Protein and dairy||1|
|Meat and meat substitutes||2|
|Grains and grain products||1|
|Meats, poultry and fish||2|