By Mayo Clinic staff
Dietitian's tip: Store-bought salsa can have as much as 400 milligrams (mg) of sodium in 1/4 cup. This thick vegetable salsa has much less sodium — 150 mg in 1/2 cup. If you prefer hotter salsa, add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno peppers.
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Wash vegetables and prepare as directed. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Toss gently to mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.