Dietitian's tip: Use a deep, heavy pot with a tightfitting lid for this dish. The alcohol cooks off as the chicken simmers. But if you'd rather not use wine, simply substitute additional stock and omit the balsamic vinegar.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, about 3/4 pound total weight, each cut in half crosswise (should be 4 pieces total)
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 skinless chicken legs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 shallot, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pound small white button mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 pound peeled pearl onions
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup port or dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a shallow dish, stir together the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour.
In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.
Add the shallot to the pan and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and saute until they begin to pick up some brown color, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the stock and wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, the chopped thyme, the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
To serve, divide the vegetables among warmed shallow individual bowls. Top each portion with 2 pieces of chicken, 1 light meat and 1 dark. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: 2 pieces of chicken (1 light, 1 dark)|
|Total fat||10 g||Total carbohydrate||16 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g||Dietary fiber||2 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||5 g||Protein||35 g|
|Protein and dairy||2|
|Meat and meat substitutes||4|
|Meats, poultry and fish||4|
|Fats and oils||1/2|