Dietitian's tip: A splash of lime juice and a blend of spices transform an everyday carrot soup into a sophisticated indulgence. Accompany the soup with a green salad and crusty whole-grain bread for a complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 jalapeno chili, seeded
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 5 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander), plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or fat-free plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lime
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seed. When the seeds just start to pop, after about 1 minute, add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger, jalapeno and curry powder and saute until the seasonings are fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add 3 cups of the stock, raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are tender, about 6 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches until smooth and return to the saucepan. Stir in the remaining 2 cups stock. Return the soup to medium heat and reheat gently. Just before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season with the salt, if desired.
Ladle into warmed individual bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt, a sprinkle of lime zest and cilantro leaves.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: About 1.5 cups|
|Total fat||4 g||Total carbohydrate||5 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g||Dietary fiber||1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2 g||Protein||6 g|
|Milk and milk products||1/2|
|Dairy foods (low-fat or fat-free)||1/2|
|Fats and oils||1|