A single copy of this article may be reprinted for personal, noncommercial use only.
Recipe: Rice and beans saladBy Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00160
SERVES 10 MAIN-DISH SERVINGS
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or spring onions (approximately 2 shallots or several spring onions)
- 15-ounce can unsalted garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-ounce can unsalted dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup rice vinegar, according to your taste
Place rice and water in stockpot. Cover and cook over medium heat until rice is tender, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill 2 hours or longer.
Nutritional analysis per serving
|Serving size: About 3/4 cup|
|Total fat||7 g||Total carbohydrate||36 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g||Dietary fiber||5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||4 g||Protein||7 g|
|Protein and dairy||1|
|Meat and meat substitutes||1|
|Grains and grain products||1|
|Nuts, seeds and dry beans||1|
|Fats and oils||1|
This recipe is one of 400 recipes collected in the "Fix-It and Enjoy-It! Healthy Cookbook" published by Good Books and available at the MayoClinic.com Bookstore.
- Reducing sodium levels in canned beans by draining and rinsing. Institute of Food Technologists. http://www.ift.org/meetings-and-events/past-meeting-resources/technical-abstracts-search/Abstract Search Details.aspx?id=3256&techtitle=Reducing sodium levels in canned beans by draining and rinsing. Accessed April 27, 2011.