Treatments and drugsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Unless your doctor finds that you have an underlying heart condition, heart palpitations seldom require medications or surgery as treatment. Instead, your doctor may recommend ways for you to avoid the triggers that cause your palpitations.
If your palpitations are caused by an underlying condition, such as an arrhythmia, your treatment will focus on correcting the underlying condition.
- Zimetbaum PJ. Overview of palpitations in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 3, 2011.
- Palpitations. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hpl/hpl_all.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2011.
- Khamis RY, et al. Palpitations. Medicine. 2009;37:100.
- Abbott AV. Diagnostic approach to palpitations. American Family Physician. 2005;71:743.
- Thompson J. Psychological and physical etiologies of heart palpitations. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2006;20:107.