Alternative medicineBy Mayo Clinic staff
Anxiety and stress can worsen heartburn symptoms. Some complementary and alternative treatments may help you cope with anxiety and stress. If your heartburn is worsened by anxiety and stress, consider trying:
- Gentle exercise, such as walking or riding a bike, but avoid vigorous exercise, which can worsen heartburn
- Listening to music
- Relaxation techniques, such as guided imagery
- Ferri FF. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00016-0--sc0030&uniqId=239147718-3. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Michelfelder AJ, et al. Integrative medicine and gastrointestinal disease. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:255.
- Kiefer D. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2954-0&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6&uniqId=239147718-7. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Achem SR. Noncardiac chest pain - Treatment approaches. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2008;37:859.
- Understanding heartburn and reflux disease. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/heartburn-gerd. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Kahrilas PJ, et al. American Gastroenterological Association medical position statement on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1383.
- Fennerty MB, et al. Short- and long-term management of heartburn and other acid-related disorders: Development of an algorithm for primary care providers. The Journal of Family Practice. 2009;58:S1.
- Weight management. U. S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.nutrition.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=11&tax_level=3&tax_subject=390&topic_id=1741&level3_id=6295&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0. Accessed April 13, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2011.