ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Hemolytic uremic syndrome can cause a number of serious, life-threatening complications, including:
- Sudden (acute) kidney failure
- High blood pressure
- Chronic kidney failure
- Heart problems
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/childkidneydiseases/hemolytic_uremic_syndrome/hemolyticuremic.pdf. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Piercefield EW, et al. Hemolytic uremic syndrome after an Escherichia coli O111 outbreak. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010;170:1656.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec11/ch133/ch133g.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- George JN. Causes of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Niaudet P. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Shiga-like toxin associated (typical) hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Noris M, et al. Atypical hemolytic-uremic syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;361:1676.
- Foodborne illness: Frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/files/foodborne_illness_FAQ.pdf. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Elliott MM, et al. Interventions for haemolytic uraemic syndrome and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (Review). Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2009:CD003595.http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Scheiring J, et al. Today's understanding of the haemolytic uraemic syndrome. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2010;169:17.
- Nast CC, et al. Thrombotic microangiopathies. In: Lerma EV, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Nephrology & Hypertension. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6336929. Accessed Oct. 22, 2010.
- Pigott DC. Foodborne illness. Emergency Medical Clinics of North America. 2008;26:475.