DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Hemorrhoids (HEM-uh-roids), also called piles, are swollen and inflamed veins in your anus and lower rectum. Hemorrhoids may result from straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy, among other causes. Hemorrhoids may be located inside the rectum (internal hemorrhoids), or they may develop under the skin around the anus (external hemorrhoids).
Hemorrhoids are common ailments. By age 50, about half of adults have had to deal with the itching, discomfort and bleeding that can signal the presence of hemorrhoids.
Fortunately, many effective options are available to treat hemorrhoids. Most people can get relief from symptoms using home treatments and lifestyle changes.
- Rectal problems. The American College of Gastroenterology. http://www.acg.gi.org/patients/women/rectal.asp. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Bleday R, et al. Clinical features of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Corigliano MA. Hemorrhoids. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0075&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&sid=1071600329&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0075&uniqId=223412356-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc0075. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Sneider EB, et al. Diagnosis and management of symptomatic hemorrhoids. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2010;90:17.
- Christoforidis D, et al. Hemorrhoids, anal fissure, and anorectal abscess and fistula. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2010. 61st ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00007-7--sc0045&isbn=978-1-4160-6642-2&sid=1071600329&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00007-7--s0835&uniqId=223412356-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00007-7--s0835. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Cataldo P, et al. Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised). Arlington Heights, Ill.: American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=7284. Accessed Oct. 21, 2010.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2010.