DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Hemorrhoids (HEM-uh-roids), also called piles, are swollen and inflamed veins in your anus and lower rectum. Hemorrhoids may result from straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy, among other causes. Hemorrhoids may be located inside the rectum (internal hemorrhoids), or they may develop under the skin around the anus (external hemorrhoids).
Hemorrhoids are common ailments. By age 50, about half of adults have had to deal with the itching, discomfort and bleeding that can signal the presence of hemorrhoids.
Fortunately, many effective options are available to treat hemorrhoids. Most people can get relief from symptoms by using home treatments and making lifestyle changes.
- Living with hemorrhoids. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/hemorrhoids. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=$eid&isbn=978-1-4557-0295-4&uniqId=398813857-1936. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Hemorrhoids. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemorrhoids/. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Daram SR, et al. Anorectal bleeding: Etiology, evaluation and management (with videos). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012;76:406.
- Mounsey AL, et al. Hemorrhoids. American Family Physician. 2011;84:204.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised 2010). Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. 2011;54:1059.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Outpatient and surgical procedures for hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.