ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Hidradenitis suppurativa often causes complications when the disease is persistent and severe. These complications include:
- Scars and skin changes. Severe hidradenitis suppurativa may leave rope-like scars, pitted skin or patches of skin that are darker than normal.
- Restricted movement. Open sores and scar tissue may cause limited or painful movement, especially when the disease affects the armpits or thighs.
- Obstructed lymph drainage. The most common sites for hidradenitis suppurativa also contain many lymph nodes. Scar tissue can interfere with the lymph drainage system, which may result in swelling in the arms, legs or genitals.
- Social isolation. The location, drainage and odor of the sores — singly or in combination — can cause embarrassment and reluctance to go out in public, leading to depression.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Danby WF, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Dermatologic Clinics. 2010;28:779.
- AskMayoExpert. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2013.