DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Hip pain is a common complaint that can be caused by a wide variety of problems. The precise location of your hip pain can provide valuable clues about the underlying cause.
Problems within the hip joint itself tend to result in pain on the inside of your hip or your groin. Hip pain on the outside of your hip, upper thigh or outer buttock is usually caused by problems with muscles, ligaments, tendons and other soft tissues that surround your hip joint.
Hip pain can sometimes be caused by diseases and conditions in other areas of your body, such as your lower back or your knees. This type of pain is called referred pain. Most hip pain can be controlled with self-care at home.
- Huddleson JI, et al. Hip pain. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/215072206-3/1040274255/1807/291.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10042-7--s0300_1229. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Anderson BC. Evaluation of the adult with hip pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Anderson BC. Patient information: Hip pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Nigrovic PA. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Ferri FF. Common causes of hip pain in different age groups. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/book.do?method=display&type=bookPage&decorator=header&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00043-3--s7120&uniq=215187023&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&sid=1040705390. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Adkins SB. Hip pain. In: Paulman PM, et al. Taylor's 10-minute Diagnosis Manual. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:273.
- Hip problems. American Academy of Family Physicians. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/540.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Hip strains. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00361. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00076. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.