When to see a doctorBy Mayo Clinic staff
You may not need to see a doctor if your hip pain is minor. Try these self-care tips:
- Pain relievers. Over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve) may help ease your hip pain.
- Rest. Stay off your feet as much as possible.
- Ice. Use ice cubes or a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel to apply cold treatments to your hip.
If self-care treatments don't help, make an appointment with your doctor.
Seek immediate medical attention
Ask someone to drive you to urgent care or the emergency room if your hip pain is caused by an injury and is accompanied by:
- A joint that appears deformed
- Inability to move your leg or hip
- Inability to bear weight on the affected leg
- Intense pain
- Sudden swelling
- Huddleson JI, et al. Hip pain. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/215072206-3/1040274255/1807/291.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10042-7--s0300_1229. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Anderson BC. Evaluation of the adult with hip pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Anderson BC. Patient information: Hip pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 17, 2010.
- Nigrovic PA. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Ferri FF. Common causes of hip pain in different age groups. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/book.do?method=display&type=bookPage&decorator=header&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00043-3--s7120&uniq=215187023&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&sid=1040705390. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Adkins SB. Hip pain. In: Paulman PM, et al. Taylor's 10-minute Diagnosis Manual. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:273.
- Hip problems. American Academy of Family Physicians. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/540.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Hip strains. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00361. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.
- Paget's disease of bone. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00076. Accessed Aug. 18, 2010.