Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You may initially seek advice about your hot flashes from your family doctor or gynecologist.
What you can do
Before your appointment you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- Have your menstrual periods become irregular or absent?
- What date did your last period begin?
- How often do your hot flashes occur?
- Are there any activities that trigger your hot flashes?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
A list of questions to ask your doctor may also be useful:
- What treatments are available for hot flashes?
- What are the risks involved with these treatments?
- Do you have any pamphlets that help explain this topic?
- Will I need any tests? If so, what kind?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask you some of the following questions:
- When did your hot flashes begin?
- Does anything make them better or worse?
- Have you had a hysterectomy?
- Have you ever had breast cancer?
- Grady D, et al. Menopausal symptoms. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Midlife transitions. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/ab013.cfm. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Menopausal hot flashes. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Hot flashes. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Loprinzi CL, et al. Hot flashes. In: Walsh D, et al. Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1146104700&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&isbn=978-0-323-05674-8&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05674-8..50177-8--cesec2&uniqId=239287562-5. Accessed April 14, 2011.
- Gaudet T. Menopause: Integrative therapy. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed April 15, 2011.
- Menopausal symptoms and CAM: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/menopause-science.htm. Accessed April 15, 2011.