ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
After the onset of Huntington's disease, a person's functional abilities gradually worsen over time. The rate of disease progression and duration varies. The time from disease onset to death is often about 10 to 30 years. Juvenile onset usually results in death in fewer than 15 years.
The clinical depression associated with Huntington's disease may increase the risk of suicide. Some research suggests that the greater risk of suicide occurs before a diagnosis is made and in middle stages of the disease when a person has begun to lose independence.
Eventually, a person with Huntington's disease requires help with all activities of daily living and care. Late in the disease, he or she will likely be confined to a bed and unable to speak. However, a person's understanding of surroundings and interactions remain intact for a long time.
Common causes of death include:
- Pneumonia or other infections
- Injuries related to falls
- Complications related to the inability to swallow
- Huntington's disease: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/huntington/huntington.htm. Accessed March 24, 2011.
- Rosenblatt A, et al. A physician's guide to the management of Huntington's disease. Huntington's Disease Society of America. http://www.hdsa.org/images/content/1/1/11682.pdf. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- Novak MJ, et al. Huntington's disease. British Medical Journal 2010;340:c3109.
- Depression. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec07/ch101/ch101b.html. Accessed April 4, 2011.
- Nance M. The juvenile HD handbook: A guide for families. Huntington's Disease Society of America. http://www.hdsa.org/images/content/1/1/11702.pdf. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- Paulsen JS, et al. Critical periods of suicide risk in Huntington's disease. The American Journal of Psychiatry 2005;162:725.
- Frank S, et al. Advances in the pharmacological management of Huntington's disease. Drugs 2010;70:561.
- Suchowersky O. Huntington disease: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 4, 2011.
- Katon W, et al. Initial treatment of depression in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 4, 2011.