ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
People who develop hypothermia because of exposure to cold weather or cold water are also vulnerable to other cold-related injuries, including:
- Frostbite, or freezing of body tissues
- Gangrene, decay and death of tissue resulting from an interruption in blood flow (possible complication of frostbite)
- Chilblains, damage to nerves and small blood vessels, usually in the hands or feet after prolonged exposure to above-freezing, cold temperatures
- Trench foot (immersion foot), damage to nerves and small blood vessels due to prolonged immersion in water
- Extreme cold: A prevention guide to promote your personal health and safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/pdf/cold_guide.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2011.
- Hypothermia: A cold weather hazard. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/NR/rdonlyres/6A2BEFB0-7D47-4978-9DF0-8638A6318685/15253/Hypothermia.pdf. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Hypothermia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec21/ch319/ch319d.html. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Mechem CC, et al. Accidental hypothermia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- McCullough L, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of hypothermia. American Family Physician. 2004;70:2325.
- Jurkovich GJ. Environmental cold-induced injury. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2007;87:247.
- Frostbite and hypothermia. American Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/Preparing/Frostbite_and_Hypothermia.pdf. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Winter safety tips. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/decwintertips.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Angert D, et al. Preventing injuries and illnesses in the wilderness. Pediatric Clinic of North America 2010;57:683.
- Hypothermia and cold water. Canadian Red Cross. http://www.redcross.ca/print.asp?id=015204. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Cold water survival tips. U.S. Army Core of Engineers and U.S. Coast Guard. http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/02/03/51309-cold-water-survival-tips-from-usace-and-uscg/. Accessed April 1, 2011.