Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
The diagnosis of hypothermia is usually apparent based on a person's physical signs and the conditions in which the person with hypothermia became ill or was found.
A diagnosis may not be readily apparent, however, if the symptoms are mild, as when an older person who is indoors has symptoms such as confusion, lack of coordination and speech problems. In such cases, an exam may include a temperature reading with a rectal thermometer that reads low temperatures.
- Extreme cold: A prevention guide to promote your personal health and safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/pdf/cold_guide.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2011.
- Hypothermia: A cold weather hazard. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/NR/rdonlyres/6A2BEFB0-7D47-4978-9DF0-8638A6318685/15253/Hypothermia.pdf. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Hypothermia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec21/ch319/ch319d.html. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Mechem CC, et al. Accidental hypothermia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- McCullough L, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of hypothermia. American Family Physician. 2004;70:2325.
- Jurkovich GJ. Environmental cold-induced injury. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2007;87:247.
- Frostbite and hypothermia. American Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/Preparing/Frostbite_and_Hypothermia.pdf. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Winter safety tips. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/decwintertips.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Angert D, et al. Preventing injuries and illnesses in the wilderness. Pediatric Clinic of North America 2010;57:683.
- Hypothermia and cold water. Canadian Red Cross. http://www.redcross.ca/print.asp?id=015204. Accessed April 1, 2011.
- Cold water survival tips. U.S. Army Core of Engineers and U.S. Coast Guard. http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/02/03/51309-cold-water-survival-tips-from-usace-and-uscg/. Accessed April 1, 2011.