ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Some people with ichthyosis may experience:
- Overheating. In rare cases, the skin thickness and scales of ichthyosis can interfere with sweating. This can inhibit cooling.
- Secondary infection. Skin splitting and cracking may lead to infections.
- Ichthyosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/cornification_disorders/ichthyosis.html#v960749. Accessed Sept. 1, 2012.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Metabolic and inherited diseases affecting the skin. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 1, 2012.
- Ichthyosis vulgaris. Foundation for Ichthyosis & Related Skin Types, Inc. http://www.firstskinfoundation.org/content.cfm/Ichthyosis/Ichthyosis-Vulgaris-Fact-Sheet/page_id/898. Accessed Sept. 1, 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=56035110. Accessed September 1, 2012.
- Okulicz JF, et al. Hereditary and acquired ichthyosis vulgaris. International Journal of Dermatology 2003;42:95.