Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Factors that increase the risk of inflammatory breast cancer include:
- Being a woman. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer than are men. But men can develop inflammatory breast cancer.
- Being black. Black women have a higher risk of inflammatory breast cancer than do white women.
- Increasing age. The risk of inflammatory breast cancer increases with age.
- Breast cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Inflammatory breast cancer: Questions and answers. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/IBC. Accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Dawood S, et al. International expert panel on inflammatory breast cancer: Consensus statement for standardized diagnosis and treatment. Annals of Oncology. 2011;22:15.