ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Several serious complications can result from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. But keeping a careful watch on your child's condition and seeking appropriate medical attention can greatly reduce the risk of these complications:
- Eye problems. Some forms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can cause eye inflammation (uveitis). If this condition is left untreated, it may result in cataracts, glaucoma and even blindness. Eye inflammation frequently occurs without symptoms, so it's important for children with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis to be examined regularly by an ophthalmologist.
- Growth problems. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis can interfere with your child's growth and bone development. Some medications used to treat juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, mainly corticosteroids, also can inhibit growth.
- Questions and answers about juvenile arthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Juv_Arthritis/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Wu EY, et al. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Arthritis in children. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/juvenilearthritis.asp. Accessed Aug. 24, 2011.
- Juvenile arthritis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00075. Accessed Aug. 25, 2011.
- Mason TG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 26, 2011.
- Lehman TJ. Polyarticular onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 25, 2011.
- What is life with juvenile arthritis like? Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/life-with-juvenile-arthritis.php. Accessed Aug. 25, 2011.
- Juvenile Arthritis Alliance. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/juvenile-arthritis-alliance.php. Accessed Aug. 25, 2011.