Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic staff
A kidney biopsy may be done to:
- Diagnose a kidney problem that can't otherwise be identified
- Help develop treatment plans based on the kidney's condition
- Determine how quickly kidney disease is progressing
- Determine the extent of damage from kidney disease or another disease
- Evaluate how well treatment for kidney disease is working
- Find out why a transplanted kidney isn't working properly
Your doctor may recommend a kidney biopsy based on the results of blood or urine tests that show:
- Blood in the urine (hematuria) that's localized to the kidney
- Protein in the urine (proteinuria) that's excessive, rising or accompanied by other signs of kidney disease
- Problems with kidney function, leading to excessive waste products in the blood
Not everyone with these problems needs a kidney biopsy. The decision is based on your signs and symptoms, test results, and overall health.
- Kidney biopsy. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/biopsy/index.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Whittier WL, et al. Indications for and complications of renal biopsy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Walker PL. The renal biopsy. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2009;133:181.
- Kidney biopsy: A guide for patients. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozcopy.cfm?pdflink=11-10-0106_PatBro_RenalBiopsy.pdf. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6193-9..C2010-1-67932-1--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6193-9&uniqId=321553651-265. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed May 16, 2012.
- Ginkgo. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Fish oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Garlic. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed June 4, 2012.