Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Klinefelter syndrome stems from a random genetic event. The risk of a child being born with Klinefelter syndrome isn't increased by anything a parent does or doesn't do. For women older than age 35, the risk is higher but only slightly.
- Bock R. Understanding Klinefelter syndrome: A guide for XXY males and their families. National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/klinefelter.cfm. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Zeger M, et al. Effect of ascertainment and genetic features on the phenotype of Klinefelter syndrome. Journal of Pediatrics. 2008;152:716.
- Klinefelter syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://www.ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/klinefelter-syndrome. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Klinefelter syndrome. National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/klinefelter_syndrome.cfm. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Ramasamy R, et al. Successful fertility treatment for Klinefelter's syndrome. Journal of Urology. 2009;182:1108.
- Radicioni AF, et al. Strategies and advantages of early diagnosis in Klinefelter's syndrome. Molecular Human Reproduction. 2010;16:434.
- Bruining H, et al. Psychiatric characteristics in a self-selected sample of boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Pediatrics. 2009;123:e865.
- Sex chromosome anomalies. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec19/ch294/ch294g.html. Accessed Sept. 23, 2010.
- Wattendorf DJ, et al. Klinefelter syndrome. American Family Physician. 2005;72:2259.
- Klinefelter syndrome. The Hormone Foundation. http://www.hormone.org/upload/Klinefelter-Bilingual-WEB.pdf. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Learning about Klinefelter syndrome. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/pfv.cfm?pageID=19519068. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.
- Snyder PJ. Causes of primary hypogonadism in males. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 30, 2010.