Labor and delivery, postpartum care
Labor and delivery
- Episiotomy: When it's needed, when it's not Planning a vaginal delivery? Understand why an episiotomy might be necessary.
- Signs of labor: Know what to expect Is it labor or a false alarm? Learn about the signs of labor.
- Water breaking: Understand this sign of labor Is your water breaking? Find out how to tell and what's next.
- Inducing labor: When to wait, when to induce Inducing labor — Find out who can benefit from inducing labor and why.
- Labor pain: Weigh your options for relief How you manage labor pain is up to you. Know your choices.
- Home birth: Know the pros and cons Home birth — Understand the possible risks and benefits of a planned home birth.
- Stages of labor: Baby, it's time! Find out what happens during the different stages of labor.
- Labor and delivery: Pain medications Understand the pros and cons of various labor and delivery pain medications.
- Fetal macrosomia Fetal macrosomia — Overview covers risk factors and complications related to delivering a large baby.
- Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being. See if it's right for you.
- Placenta: How it works, what's normal Learn about the conditions that can affect the placenta during pregnancy.
- High-risk pregnancy: Know what to expect High-risk pregnancy — Find out how to promote your health and your baby's health.
- VBAC: Insight from a Mayo Clinic specialist VBAC — vaginal birth after cesarean — is controversial. Here's advice from a Mayo Clinic specialist.
- Vacuum extraction Vacuum extraction — Overview covers why it's done, the risks and what you can expect from this procedure sometimes done during childbirth.
- Forceps delivery Forceps delivery — Overview covers why it's done, the risks and what you can expect from this procedure sometimes done during childbirth.
- C-section C-section — Overview covers why it's done, risks, what you can expect and tips for recovery.
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) VBAC — Overview covers benefits and risks of vaginal birth after cesarean.
- Labor induction Labor induction — Overview covers definition, risks and what to expect when contractions are stimulated.
- Exercise after pregnancy: How to get started Ready for exercise after pregnancy? Follow these strategies to keep it safe.
- Maternity leave: Tips for returning to work Maternity leave about to end? Here's help making a successful transition back to work.
- C-section recovery: What to expect Understand how to manage the discomfort of C-section recovery while caring for your newborn.
- Postpartum care: What to expect after a vaginal delivery Postpartum care after a vaginal delivery involves managing vaginal soreness and discharge, sore breasts, mood changes and more.
- Weight loss after pregnancy: Reclaiming your body Weight loss after pregnancy hinges on healthy lifestyle choices. Plenty of patience helps, too.
- Sex after pregnancy: Set your own timeline Thinking about sex after pregnancy? Follow these tips to heal and regain your passion.
- Breast-feeding support: How a partner can help Breast-feeding support — Find out how you can get involved.
- Breast lift Breast lift — Overview covers why it's done, the risks and what you can expect from this procedure to change your breast shape.
- Breast-feeding nutrition: Tips for moms Understand breast-feeding nutrition do's and don'ts.
- Kegel exercises: A how-to guide for women Kegel exercises — Follow this how-to guide for strengthening your pelvic floor muscles.
- Breast-feeding and medications: What's safe? Breast-feeding and medications — Understand which medications are safe to take while breast-feeding.
- Postpartum preeclampsia Postpartum preeclampsia — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms and treatment of this post-pregnancy condition.
- Amniotic fluid embolism Amniotic fluid embolism — Overview covers definition, symptoms and treatment of this pregnancy or post-pregnancy condition.
- Postpartum depression Parenthood can trigger many emotions. Understand postpartum depression symptoms and treatment options.