Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic staff
Laser resurfacing can be used to treat:
- Liver spots or age spots (solar lentigines)
- Uneven skin tone or texture
- Sun-damaged skin
- Scars caused by acne, chickenpox or injuries
Laser resurfacing can't eliminate excessive or sagging skin (jowls).
- Tanzi EL, et al. Skin resurfacing: Ablative lasers, chemical peels and dermabrasion. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3007358. Accessed Feb. 22, 2011.
- Roy D. Ablative facial resurfacing. Dermatologic Clinics. 2005;23:549.
- Alexiades-Armenakas MR, et al. The spectrum of laser skin resurfacing: Nonablative, fractional and ablative laser resurfacing. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2008;58:719.
- Skin rejuvenation and resurfacing: Beauty for life. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Patients_and_Consumers/Procedures/Cosmetic_Procedures/Skin_Rejuvenation_and_Resurfacing.html. Accessed Feb. 22, 2011.
- Laser skin rejuvenation. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/laser_skin_rejuvenation.html. Accessed May 9, 2011.
- Laser resurfacing information. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/LaserResurfacingInformation.aspx. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Chapas AM, et al. Cosmetic applications of non-ablative lasers and other light devices: Introduction. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3007544#3007544. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Facial peels and laser surgery. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/resurfacing.html. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Doherty SD, et al. A paradigm for facial skin rejuvenation. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2009;25:245.
- Clay RP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2011.