Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
Your doctor will want to know your history of latex allergy experiences, and other allergy signs and symptoms. Your doctor may conduct a physical examination to identify or exclude other medical problems.
He or she may also recommend one or both of the following tests:
- Skin test. A test in which your skin is pricked and exposed to latex can determine your reaction to latex. In this test, small amounts of latex are placed on the skin of your forearm or back. Your skin is then pricked with a needle, to allow a tiny amount of the substance beneath your skin surface. If you're allergic to a particular substance being tested, you develop a raised bump (allergic reaction). Only specialized allergy centers are able to perform skin tests for latex allergy.
- Blood test. A blood test can measure your immune system's response to latex by assessing the amount of allergy-type antibodies in your bloodstream, known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. Your blood sample is sent to a medical laboratory, where it can be tested for sensitivity to latex.
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex (natural rubber) allergy in spina bifida. Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/pp.aspx?c=liKWL7PLLrF&b=2700271&printmode=1. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex allergy: A prevention guide. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-113/pdfs/98-113.pdf. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex allergy. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/Latex-Allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Potential for sensitization and possible allergic reaction to natural rubber latex gloves and other natural rubber products. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib012808.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Spina bifida latex list. Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/atf/cf/%7BEED435C8-F1A0-4A16-B4D8-A713BBCD9CE4%7D/SBA-LatexList-2011%20English.pdf. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.