Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You'll probably first bring your concerns to the attention of your child's doctor. After an initial evaluation, your child may be referred to a doctor who specializes in bone problems in children (pediatric orthopedist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- When did these symptoms begin?
- Does any particular leg position or activity make the pain worse?
- Have any of your relatives had similar symptoms when they were children?
- Does your child have any other medical problems?
- What medications or supplements does your child take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- What are your child's symptoms?
- Have they gotten worse over time?
- Do the symptoms seem to come and go?
- Is your child active?
- Has your child experienced an accident or injury that might have caused hip damage?
- If your child's symptoms include pain, where is the pain located?
- Does activity make your child's symptoms worse?
- Does resting ease your child's discomfort?
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Nigrovic PA. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Perthes disease. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00070. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Shaughnessy WJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 10, 2012.
- Perry DC, et al. Evaluating the child who presents with an acute hip. 2010;341:444.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy for Perthes disease? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with Perthes disease considered for operational or interventional procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.