SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Signs and symptoms of Legg-Calve-Perthes disease include:
- Pain or stiffness in the hip, groin, thigh or knee
- Limited range of motion of the hip joint
Legg-Calve-Perthes disease usually involves just one hip, but both hips are affected in some children.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if your child begins limping or complains of hip, groin or knee pain.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Nigrovic PA. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Perthes disease. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00070. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Shaughnessy WJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 10, 2012.
- Perry DC, et al. Evaluating the child who presents with an acute hip. 2010;341:444.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy for Perthes disease? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with Perthes disease considered for operational or interventional procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.