Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
During the physical exam, your doctor may move your child's legs into various positions to check range of motion and to see if any of the positions cause pain.
These types of tests are vital to the diagnosis of Legg-Calve-Perthes disease and may include:
- X-rays. Initial X-rays may look normal, because it can take several weeks after symptoms begin for the damage associated with Legg-Calve-Perthes disease to become evident on X-rays. Your doctor may recommend several X-rays over time, to track the progression of the bone damage.
- Bone scan. In this test, a small amount of radioactive material is injected into a vein. The material is attracted to areas where bone is rapidly breaking down and rebuilding itself, so these areas show up on the resulting scan images.
- Magnetic resonance imaging. This technology uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to produce very detailed images of bone and soft tissue inside the body. MRIs often can visualize bone damage caused by Legg-Calve-Perthes disease before X-rays can.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Nigrovic PA. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Perthes disease. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00070. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- Shaughnessy WJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 10, 2012.
- Perry DC, et al. Evaluating the child who presents with an acute hip. 2010;341:444.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed April 26, 2012.
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3143-7..X0001-2--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-3143-7&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy for Perthes disease? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with Perthes disease considered for operational or interventional procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.