Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
You'll likely start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. You may be referred to a specialist in skin diseases (dermatologist). To get the most out of your consultation, be prepared to provide the following information:
- The name and contact number of any physician you have seen recently or see regularly
- Prescription medications and dosages
- Over-the-counter drugs or dietary supplements you take regularly
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor will likely ask you these questions:
- When did the bumps or other lesions appear?
- Where on your body have you found the lesions?
- Are the affected areas itchy, painful or uncomfortable?
- How would you describe the severity of the pain or discomfort — mild, moderate or severe?
- Have you recently started new medications?
- Have you recently had immunizations?
- Do you take supplements or vitamins, or other nonprescription herbs or medicines?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Le Cleach L, et al. Lichen planus. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:723.
- Sharma A, et al. Lichen planus: An update and review. Cutis. 2012;90:17.
- Usatine RP, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of lichen planus. American Family Physician. 2011;84:53.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 28, 2012.
- Bradford J, et al. Management of vulvovaginal lichen planus: A new approach. Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease. 2013;17:28.
- Parashar P. Oral lichen planus. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2011;44:89.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Dec.28, 2012.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2013.