ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Persistent lichen sclerosus in one location may slightly increase your risk of skin cancer, although this has not yet been definitively proved. For this reason, make sure that you have follow-up examinations every six to 12 months.
Severe lichen sclerosis can make sex extremely painful for women because itching and scarring may narrow the vaginal opening. In addition, blistering may create extremely sensitive skin to the point that any pressure on the area is unbearable.
Lichen sclerosis may rarely cause similar complications in uncircumcised men, because it causes tightening and thinning of the foreskin. This can cause problems during an erection or when urinating.
- Goldsmith LA, et al, eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=56040547. Accessed Aug. 28, 2012.
- What is lichen sclerosus? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Lichen_Sclerosus/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 28, 2012.
- Murphy R. Lichen sclerosus. Dermatology Clinics. 2010;28:707.
- Chi CC, et al. Topical interventions for genital lichen sclerosus. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008240.pub2/abstract. Accessed Aug. 28, 2012.
- Wehbe-Alamah H, et al. Silent no more! The lived experiences of women with lichen sclerosis. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2012;24:499.