How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Although it's possible to do light therapy on your own, it's best to ask your doctor or mental health provider if it's a good option for you. Also ask whether you need to take any special precautions. This guidance can help you get the most benefit and minimize possible side effects.
Internet retailers, drugstores and even some hardware stores offer a variety of light therapy boxes. Or your doctor may recommend a particular light therapy box. Health insurance companies rarely cover the cost.
Talk with your doctor about the best light therapy box for you, and familiarize yourself with the variety of features and options to help ensure that you buy a high-quality product that's safe and effective.
- Gabbard GO, et al. Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2007. http://psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=4§ionid=1337596. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Shirani A, et al. Illuminating rationale and uses for light therapy. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2009;5:155.
- Howland RH. Somatic therapies for seasonal affective disorder. Journal of Psychological Nursing. 2009;47:17.
- Sivamani RK, et al. The benefits and risks of ultraviolet tanning and its alternatives: The role of prudent sun exposure. Dermatologic Clinics. 2009;27:129.
- Reeves GM, et al. Improvement in depression scores after 1 hour of light therapy treatment in patients with seasonal affective disorder. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2012;200:51.
- Rastad C, et al. Improvement in fatigue, sleepiness, and health-related quality of life with bright light treatment in persons with seasonal affective disorder and subsyndromal SAD. Depression Research and Treatment. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/drt/2011/543906/. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Roecklein KA, et al. Cognitive and behavioral predictors of light therapy use. PLOSone. 2012;7:e39275. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039275. Accessed Feb. 19, 2013.
- Privitera MR, et al. Light therapy for seasonal affective disorder in a clinical office setting. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2010;16:387.
- Menter A, et al. Guidelines of care of the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;62:114.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Auger RR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.