ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
After liposuction, swelling typically subsides within about four weeks. By this time, the treated area should look less bulky. Within several months, expect the treated area to have a leaner appearance.
Liposuction results are generally long lasting as long as you maintain your weight. If you gain weight after liposuction, your fat distribution may change. For example, you may accumulate fat around your abdomen regardless of what areas were originally treated.
- Andrews RA, et al. Surgical management of severe obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction procedure: Lipoplasty, cosmetic procedures. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Cosmetic-Procedures/Liposuction.html. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction: What are the risks or complications? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/ucm256139.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Liposuction: What can I expect before, during, and after? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/ucm256146.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Coldiron B, et al. ASDS Guidelines of care for tumescent liposuction. Dermatologic Surgery. 2006;32:709.
- Habbema L. Breast reduction using liposuction with tumescent local anesthesia and powered cannulas. Dermatologic Surgery. 2009;35:41.
- Hernandez TL, et al. Fat redistribution following suction lipectomy: Defense of body fat and patterns of restoration. Obesity. 2011;19:1388.
- Swanson E. Photographic measurements in 301 cases of liposuction and abdominoplasty reveal fat reduction without redistribution. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;130:311e.
- Liposuction information. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/Liposuction/default.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.