SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Signs and symptoms of liver problems include:
- Discolored skin and eyes that appear yellowish
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Itchy skin that doesn't seem to go away
- Dark urine color
- Pale stool color
- Bloody or tar-colored stool
- Chronic fatigue
- Loss of appetite
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any persistent signs or symptoms that worry you. Seek immediate medical attention if you have abdominal pain that is so severe that you can't stay still.
- Your liver. Your life. What everybody needs to know about liver wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.yourliver.org/Liver-Wellness-Presentation.pdf. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Viral hepatitis: A through E and beyond. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/viralhepatitis/index.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Cirrhosis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cirrhosis/index.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- It's dangerous to ignore your liver. American Liver Foundation. http://www.yourliver.org/risk.html. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Liver biopsy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/liverbiopsy/index.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Know your ALT. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. http://www.aasld.org/patients/Pages/KnowYourALT.aspx. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Pratt DS. Liver chemistry and function tests. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 24, 2011.
- Seeff LB. Herbal hepatotoxicity. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2007;11:577.