- With Mayo Clinic rheumatologist
April Chang-Miller, M.D.read biographyclose window
April Chang-Miller, M.D.April Chang-Miller, M.D.
Dr. April Chang-Miller is board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology and is a consultant in the Division of Rheumatology at Mayo Clinic in Arizona.
Dr. Chang-Miller's primary field is rheumatology with special interests in inflammatory joint diseases called seronegative spondyloarthropathies, such as ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis. She also cares for patients with rheumatoid arthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica.
The New York City native is a graduate of the Yale School of Medicine. Dr. Chang-Miller joined the Mayo Clinic staff in Rochester, Minn., in 1991, and in 2002 she relocated to Mayo Clinic in Arizona. She is a fellow in the American College of Rheumatology and has been on the board of directors of the Arthritis Foundation North Central Chapter.
- Lupus: Can it cause hair loss?
- Lupus: Can it cause hives?
- Livedo reticularis: When is it a concern?
- Lupus: How does it affect the kidneys?
Lupus: Can it cause hives?
Does lupus cause hives?
from April Chang-Miller, M.D.
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Lupus can cause hives, but this is uncommon. The exact cause of hives in lupus isn't clear. But it may be due to certain antibodies produced by some people with lupus. Sun exposure also may play a role. In addition, some of the medications used to treat lupus may cause side effects that include hives.
Individual hives usually last less than 24 hours. Individual hives that last longer than 24 hours may be due to urticarial vasculitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the small blood vessels in the skin. Lupus is one cause of urticarial vasculitis.Next question
Livedo reticularis: When is it a concern?
- Tassiulas I, et al. Clinical features and treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Vasculitis. Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012. http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_research.aspx?articleid=2283&zoneid=3. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Schur PH, et al. Mucocutaneous manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.
- Cutaneous side effects from rheumatic drugs. Lupus Foundation. http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_about.aspx?articleid=468&zoneid=2. Accessed Sept. 13, 2012.