Mediterranean diet recipesBy Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet-recipes/MY02229
Nutrition basics (20)
- Dietary fiber: Essential for a healthy diet
- Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes
- Added sugar: Don't get sabotaged by sweeteners
- see all in Nutrition basics
Healthy diets (12)
- DASH diet: Tips for dining out
- DASH diet: Tips for shopping and cooking
- DASH diet: Healthy eating to lower your blood pressure
- see all in Healthy diets
Healthy cooking (14)
- Meatless meals: The benefits of eating less meat
- Healthy cooking for 1 or 2
- Beans and other legumes: Types and cooking tips
- see all in Healthy cooking
Healthy menus and shopping strategies (13)
- Free range and other meat and poultry terms
- Cuts of beef: A guide to the leanest selections
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid: A sample menu
- see all in Healthy menus and shopping strategies
Nutritional supplements (3)
- Herbal supplements: What to know before you buy
- Calcium and calcium supplements: Achieving the right balance
- Supplements: Nutrition in a pill?
Mediterranean diet recipes
Experiment with eating the Mediterranean way with these healthy recipes.By Mayo Clinic staff
People who follow the Mediterranean diet have a longer life expectancy and lower rates of chronic diseases than do other adults. Indeed, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans point to the Mediterranean diet as an example of a healthy-eating plan.
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. It replaces butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil and canola oil, and uses herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods. Red meat is limited to no more than a few times a month, while fish should be on the menu twice a week.
The Mediterranean diet is also about enjoying delicious foods — as you'll discover when you try these recipes.
Salads and sides
- Mediterranean Diet & Pyramid: Overview. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/resources/heritage-pyramids/mediterranean-pyramid/overview. Accessed Sept. 6, 2012.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed Sept. 6, 2012.
- Mediterranean diet tips for everyone. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/what-can-you-do/consumers?page=5. Accessed Sept. 6, 2012.